At Haughton Academy, we provide a safe, happy, caring and well- ordered environment within which every child can thrive. Students will be valued both as individuals and as part of the wider Village community. We believe strongly in the key themes of
Every Child Matters:
Be healthy - Stay safe - Enjoy and achieve - Make a positive contribution - Achieve economic well-being
Our Pastoral aims are to:
- Attain the highest level possible in all areas of school life for our students: academic, social, emotional and physical development.
- Develop lively and enquiring minds.
- Develop a sense of self esteem and self discipline, allied to a positive ethos of community involvement and responsibility.
- Acquire a growing awareness and sensitivity towards the needs and rights of others.
- Become responsible for their own actions and decisions, whilst developing moral and ethical values.
To support this we will:
- Provide a nurturing and friendly atmosphere by providing an environment where children are respected and valued and where individual needs are recognised and supported.
- Bring out the best in every child from those identified as gifted and talented to those who require additional or intensive support. All children should achieve their best regardless of their gender, race, colour or religious beliefs.
- Provide for each child as many different experiences, ideas and activities as possible in a safe and secure environment.
- Help your child care about family, friends, neighbours and their surroundings.
- Support your child in leading an independent and purposeful life, preparing children for work or further education and promoting citizenship to encourage them to consider the needs of their local and wider community.
- Communicate regularly with you so that we work in partnership with parents and carers to achieve the very best outcomes. All parents have access to the Virtual Learning Environment so that they can be fully involved in the learning process.
These aims are supported by five Year Managers whose role is to oversee each year group. This dedicated team of staff take care of every aspect of welfare and guidance. They do not have a teaching commitment and the entire focus of their daily work is the guidance and care of our pupils.
Additionally, your child will have a tutor who will be with them during the full five years of their time with us. The tutor meets daily with each child and is the first point of contact for parents.
A range of other support staff pupil progress: counsellor, further education career guidance officer, engagement officer, school nurse and the list goes on.
Two senior Assistant Heads at Key Stage 3 & 4 are responsible for pupil progress towards targets and will act swiftly where there appears to be underachievement.