In the 1840s John Beaumont Pease, the cousin of Joseph Pease, bought Bushell Hill as a country retreat and in 1862 Mowden Hall was built. When he died in 1873 he left his fortune to his son Edwin Lucas who became the "Squire of Bushell Hill" and in 1881 Mowden Hall was extended. However in 1889 Edwin Lucas Pease died after falling during a fox hunt and the estate was left to William Edwin Pease. He was a successful businessman and became MP for Darlington in 1923 but never married and died in 1926.
Mowden Halls future was uncertain until Frank Marchbank founded Mowden Hall preparatory school in 1935 at the site. The school was evacuated at the start of the war and during World War Two Mowden Hall was used to station the army. After the war Mowden Hall became the head quarters of Summersons foundry and then an egg packing factory until 1961 when 150 acres of land was bought and 1380 homes were built. The Department of Education arrived in 1966 and Mowden Hall was used as the base for the Teachers Pension Agency until 2013 when the Education Village Academy Trust opened Marchbank Free School.
A picture of the entrance hall and with a view of the main staircase. This wall is now enclosed but the room houses a grand fire place with seating and stained glass windows. This room will be where children gather upon arriving in school.
An historic external view of the hall from the lawn area. You can see a pond which was used as a reservoir for Mowden Hall. This no longer exists and is covered by well established Cypress trees.
For more information please see the website for Mowden Hall School, a preparatory school in Northumberland which was founded by Mr Frank Marchbank at Mowden Hall Darlington.